Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Behavior System



This is the behavior system I use in my classroom.  I got the idea from a teacher I used to work with and I've been loving it and using it ever since.  Students start with their clips each day on the "Piggy Bank."  Throughout the day students move their names up for a variety of things.  When I catch students following the rules or participating they move their name up.  With each move up they earn something different. (Prizes are given before dismissal, not each time they move their clip.)  The goal is to move it to the penny by the end of the day to earn a stamp on their behavior calendar that goes home every day to be signed by their parents.  (This also keeps me mindful of trying to find something positive to reinforce for each child at some point throughout the day.)  If they make it to the nickel they get a ticket which is something our school uses to reinforce students following our code of conduct.  Dimes get to go to the treasure chest and quarters dun dun dun...get a quarter stamp on their calendar and get a choice of some of my special prizes.

I love this system for many reasons.  The first being that it focuses on recognizing positive behavior.  Students can move their names down, but for the most part, when I tell someone to move their name up, it quickly focuses the other students on their own behavior and they work to make better choices.  Another reason I love it is it is a great reinforcement of the different coins and their values.  Finally, the kids love it and so do their families.  I have gotten so much great feedback from families about this system.  Some of my parents even have their own prizes for when their child comes home with a quarter stamp.  :)  Grab a copy for your room from my TpT store!










3 comments:

  1. Hi Abby!
    I just found your blog and became a new follower! It looks like we have some similar things in our classrooms (even though I teach third)! I can't wait to start catching up with your blog and store! Feel free to follow me too if you like what you see. I just started out!

    So excited I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'm headed over now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this!! I can't do it this year but it will be the first thing on my list for next year. Pinning it, that's how awesome it is.
    Angie K
    Making The Basics Fun

    ReplyDelete